Saturday, December 22, 2018

Day 5: Blink and You'll Miss It

Activity 1: Towering Timbers

Should logging be allowed in NZ?
Yes I think it should be allowed because, you can always plant new trees.  We need to chop them done to make power, house and paper.  Also we need wood to make a fire to keep warm.  Only chop down pine trees or trees that grow back quickly after replanting.

Activity 2: Living on the edge

Dear Dad
How are you?  I'm very good. In in the Arctic Tundra.
It is very cold here and there are barely no tress.
It's very light here. The snow is melting so there isn't much snow around.  I can basically only see water everywhere. There are high mountains in the background.  I've a seen a polar bear and a snow owl sleeping.
I'm getting bitten a lot by the mosquitoes, lucky I brought my bug spray.
The tent I'm sleeping in has some small claw marks from the owls.
Miss you Dad, I'm having a bit of a good time.
Love Johanna

Activity 3: Going, going... gone

In New Zealand there are lots of trees, rivers and a lots of houses.
I live on the West Coast, of the South Island of New Zealand.  We have two main Islands.  North and South Island, plus a little Island at the bottom called Stewart Island.  Plus lots of little Islands all over.

Where I live it is mainly trees and bush.  There are rivers and lakes.  There are couple of small towns and lots of farms.  There are cows, sheep, chickens, deer and pig farms. The ocean is not very far away from my house. There are cool rivers like this :
Me and my sister at Hokitika Gorge/River
View from my house

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora,

    My name is Hazel and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey (SLJ) team. I’ll be helping Allie and the team out in Toki Pounamu over the Christmas holidays. I can see that you were one of the top bloggers in Toki Pounamu last year, so it's great to have you back again this year!

    I can see that you have thought hard about whether or not you support logging. You have made some good points. What do you think are some reasons that people might disagree with logging in New Zealand?

    I enjoyed reading your letter to your dad from the tundra. I can tell that you did some research because you mentioned the animals that you might find there - ka pai! Would you like to visit the tundra for real one day? Why/why not?

    I really like that you included some of your own photos to show more about your hometown. The Hokitika gorge looks beautiful!

    Keep up the great work, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

    Meri Kirihimete,

    Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hazel
    I was watching tv once and it had the tundra and it was telling all about the creatures there. One was that i never knew it was there. It was a big caterpillar that turned into a moth. I would not want to go there when its dark for a long time and also there's wolfs there.
    About the logging probably because we would have no air to breath.
    Johanna :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna,

      That's great that you were able to relate some of your prior knowledge from the TV show to your SLJ post - ka pai! I agree that it would probably be pretty dangerous in the dark.

      I hope that you had a lovely Christmas and new year,

      Hazel :)

      Delete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.