Thursday, December 20, 2018

Summer Learning Journey 2018/19

Week 1
Day 1: In the beginning
Activity 1: The legend of New Zealand

Three fun facts about New Zealand

Fact 1: New Zealand Dairy Farmers produce a lot of butter and cheese.  They produce about 100kgs of butter and 65kgs of cheese each year for each person and my mum and dad are apart of making that.

Fact 2: There is no snakes in New Zealand and I'm happy about that.

Fact 3: I'm really surprised that 30% of New Zealand is covered in forest.

Activity 2: North and South

My hometown isn't a town, its a farming community.  It's called Taramakau Settlement.  It is on the West Coast of the South Island.  Its is over 40kms from Greymouth and Hokitika.  We milk cows here every day.  When you head straight here you basically see grass and trees and some houses.  We are surrounded by mountains, and in winter time they have snow on them.  I love seeing the sunset from my bedroom window.  You can go bike riding on the road but be careful because of the milk tankers.  You have to go the same way you got here cause there is only one way.  There is a river that you can swim in, fish, go on a boat or canoeing.
Picture taken by my Mum



Activity 3: Ice, Ice baby

1 comment:

  1. Hello Johanna,

    I'm Evelyn and I will be working with the Summer Learning Journey team for 2018-2019 to read and follow amazing blog posts like yours! I am so excited to read what pops into that wonderful brain of yours and hope you have fun on this journey!

    Those are some interesting facts about New Zealand and you have done a wonderful job of putting the information into your own words. What a great start to your Summer Learning Journey, well done Johanna! That's awesome that your mum and dad help to make the butter and cheese in New Zealand! Do you like to put butter on your toast or cheese on your food? I enjoy cheese on my food and especially on my pizza! I agree with you, I'm also very glad that we do not have snakes in New Zealand, we're very lucky! Have you seen a snake before? I've seen them in a zoo and they still make me nervous even though they're behind a glass window!

    That is a lovely description of your hometown! I have never been to the Taramakau Settlement but I went to Greymouth when I was around 6 years old. I don't remember too much of the trip though. I would love to visit your hometown and see the snow in winter! I live in Auckland and it doesn't snow in winter. Do you go up the mountains in winter and play in the snow? Wow, the picture of the sunset that your mum has taken looks absolutely astonishing and beautiful! It must be nice to live near a river so that you can hop in when it's a really hot day.

    I am impressed to know that you are well prepared and have a good range of knowledge when it comes to being cyber smart on the internet and creating a positive digital footprint! You are absolutely correct, we must always be aware of what we post on the internet and the sorts of information we share out to the world, well done Johanna! Remember that if you are unsure of anything you see or find on the internet, it is always a good idea to ask an adult for help.

    Happy blogging,
    Evelyn :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.